Happy Monday! Hope you all had a wonderful, relaxing weekend. We spent the weekend relaxing, while we tried our best to recover and get caught up from our vacation last week. We spent the week in one of our favorite places- La Jolla, California. After a graduation celebration and a very special celebration with our extended family at the beginning of our trip, we moved to La Valencia to extend our stay. La Jolla and La Valencia have a special place in our hearts- Jean and Bill were married there 33 years ago, and Stia and Caleb followed suit just four years ago. We have been coming to La Jolla for years and always jump at the chance to come back.
If you find yourself in Southern California, we highly recommend making a trip to La Jolla- see our must-do items below!
- La Valencia Hotel: This pink hotel is picture perfect. It is literally painted pink, has the most beautiful Spanish tile everywhere you look, not to mention the best views of the Pacific Ocean. And there are gorgeous flowers everywhere! The pool is in the middle of the property and it is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the amazing views. La Valencia also has incredible rooms. We each had a different style of room, all unique and beautiful! Justin and Katherine had a room on the 10th floor (the Tower Room) with the most amazing open windows and views forever. Jean and Bill had a Villa Suite with ocean views and Stia and Caleb had a Villa Suite with a view of the pool and heated floors. Besides the beautiful setting and amazing rooms, the service at La V is impeccable. Everyone is warm and welcoming, so professional and quick to see to every need. We can’t imagine staying anywhere else.
- Pannikin: Our morning walk was always directly to Pannikin. They make amazing coffee and our favorite iced latté along with delicious baked goods and a yummy selection of breakfast dishes.
- Harry’s: A classic diner that we have been visiting for years. The pancakes, hash browns and an oreo shake are always on our order!
- The Cottage: Another popular breakfast option a short walk from the hotel.
- The Med: The signature restaurant at La Valencia Hotel, which has incredible views over the Pacific. We dined here our first night at the hotel and had a hard time not choosing to eat here every night! The Med has recently brought in a new Executive Chef and he is doing great things in the kitchen. We started off with foie gras, crudo and crab cakes. For main courses, we each tried something different. The salmon and scallops were delicious, and the paella and shrimp pasta were so unique! And of course, the prime rib was perfect. For dessert, the chef brought out a selection of specialties. The creme brûlée, manchego cheesecake and chocolate chip cookies aren’t to be missed. This is a new favorite “must do” for us.
- George’s: A favorite of ours every time we are in La Jolla. We love to have lunch on the ocean terrace and enjoy the beautiful view, cocktails and fish tacos.
- Poolside at La Valencia Hotel: We really didn’t want to leave the hotel, or the pool! We had lunch here on our first day and the food was a selection of items straight from La Med restaurant, so we couldn’t go wrong. The poolside wine and cocktail selection also has old favorites and new. Our bartender even mixed up a custom cocktail for us- delicious and beautiful!
- Bubba’s: If you get the itch for Southern BBQ, Bubba’s can scratch it for you. Go for the ribs and the beans.
- Mandarin House: This is old time traditional Chinese and a place we have been going to for as many years as we can remember coming to La Jolla. The Kung Pao Chicken is a must.
- Whisknladle: We came here for dinner one night, and we are hooked. Very farm to table and great casual decor. We were impressed with the food and service. They just need to add more rosé selections to the wine list!
- Froglander’s: Fro-Yo. Our favorite! Hope for the peanut butter flavor to be in the rotation…
- Walk the beach: We like the water to be a little warmer than 60 degrees before we go in, so we don’t get in the water very often, but the beaches stretch for miles from La Jolla, and at low tide it’s fun to search the tide pools for little sea creatures.
- Relax at the pool at La Valencia: We could have spent all day, every day at the pool at La V.
- Rent Bikes: Bikes are available to cruise around La Jolla.
- Shop: Just walk out the front entrance of La Valencia and you are there- great shopping: Kate Spade, Lulu Lemon, Banana Republic and some local favorites.
- Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art: just a short walk from the hotel.
- Go Deep Sea Fishing
- Play Torrey Pines Golf Course: If you can get a tee time, or just watch the hang gliders take off from the cliffs.
- Shop at University Town Center: an open air shopping mall
- Sweaters: It cools way down in California, so be sure to bring light sweaters for the mornings and evenings. This nautical sweatshirt and this coral sweater were worn multiple times!
- Swimsuits, cover-ups and sunscreen: You spend most of the day outside, so these are essential!
- Walking shoes: We walk everywhere, so comfortable shoes are a must. Our latest obsession? M. Gemi
- Casual dresses: A few that made the trip? This white caftan dress, a classic white midi and this coral dress
Shop La Jolla Travel Guide: