When the weather starts to get warm, our thoughts turn to ice cream. Homemade ice cream to be more exact! There’s something about a warm spring – almost summer – day that makes us want to get out the ice cream maker and crank out a batch, kicking off a summer tradition. Some of our favorite summer memories revolve around homemade ice cream. Happily, we now have an ice cream maker that doesn’t take a whole day to make the ice cream, or cranking until our arm aches! Last Sunday was just such a homemade ice cream kind of day. It was warm and sunny, we had fresh organic local strawberries from the Farmer’s Market, and it was Mother’s Day. The perfect combination for making pretty pink, fresh strawberry ice cream for our Mother’s Day dessert!
Strawberry Ice Cream (a la Ben & Jerry’s style)
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and mashed
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar, divided
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Combine strawberries, and 1/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl, set aside in for 1 hour.
2) In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
3) Gradually add 3/4 cups sugar, mixing well. Stir in milk and vanilla and mix well.
4) Add strawberries with juice and mix well.
5) Gently stir in whipping cream just until combined.
6) Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
Shop Homemade Ice Cream:
Click on the picture to go directly to the retailer, click on the arrows to see more!