William turned 8 (!!!) earlier this month! I love that he likes to celebrate his birthdays with experiences. We started it last year when he got to pick out any Lego set he wanted (he chose the Titanic) and we spent the night at a hotel working away on it!
This year, he decided on a staycation at the recently opened Omni PGA Frisco Resort. He loves golf and this resort has everything for the golf lover. With a January birthday, the weather can be a little tricky, but the resort has a great variety of outdoor and indoor activities.
It was a quick 25 minute drive to the resort and as soon as we arrived we got started on our fun staycation. An arctic freeze blew through while we were there with snow and icy temperatures, but it made the stay that much more memorable! With that being said, this is a comprehensive list of what we did in the winter. Now we will have to go back and see all that the resort has to offer in the warmer months!
The Omni PGA Frisco Resort just opened in May of 2023. It’s a beautiful resort and everything you need is right there! We had a one bedroom suite and it was beautiful! It had a spacious living area with a pull-out sofa, the most amazing views of the golf course, a huge bathroom with a stand-alone tub and a large balcony with rocking chairs. We were there during the arctic temps/freeze, when everything in Dallas seemed to shut-down, and the service at the resort remained top notch. The staff made sure we had everything we needed and more!
- Lounge by Topgolf: While the boys were playing on the simulators, we ordered an assortment of appetizers for lunch and were very impressed with the food! It was delicious and had something for everyone in our family.
- Ice house: We had dinner here – it’s very casual, BBQ style dining. William loved it and it has a great outdoor space right in the middle of the golf area!
- Toast and Tee: This is the coffee shop in the hotel and we grabbed breakfast here the next morning.
- The Apron: This is more casual dining. We stopped in for some homemade ice cream.
- Margaret’s Cones and Cups: William had ice cream here after we played The Swing and he said “it was the best ice cream ever”.
- Other restaurants: Trick Rider is the steakhouse at the resort, but it’s closed on Sundays (the night we stayed). We are planning to go back and try it!
- The Swing: This was a highlight for all three of us! It’s the ten hole, par 3 course and it was such a blast. I’m not a “golfer” but I played all ten holes and we had a lot of friendly competitions. Halfway through the course there is an old truck that has been refurbished as “The Swing Bar”. They have margaritas and beer on tap, plus snacks.
- Simulators: For some indoor fun we rented a couple of simulators at the Lounge by Topgolf. I loved having this option given the weather and it was fun for all ages! We had golf on one simulator, but then you could also choose from Zombie dodgeball (a hit with my boys), soccer, baseball, etc and we switched up the games on the other simulator. I can imagine it’s a busy place in the heat of the summer, too!
- Topgolf bays: This is located in the Ice House. They are indoor bays, but you use the Topgolf software to play games and hit into the driving range. It started snowing while we were there, which was magical! We moved inside when it got too cold and had a delicious dinner.
- Warmer weather activities: If you take a look at the Omni PGA Frisco Resort website, you can see all the activities available! With the pool, spa, golf, outdoor movies, a St. Bernard (one of my favorite Dallas stores) pop-up and even more shopping – you will need to book another night!